Wednesday, August 21, 2013

{DIY} Home Depot Shelves Turned Shoe Organization

If you have been following Eat.Sleep.Decorate a while you know that I have had many house goals for 2013. I am slowly chipping away at each space and today I get to share a BIG project that was accomplished over the past couple of weeks.

One house goal was to make our master closet a little more efficient for me and the Hubs. Our closet isn't very big and I may or may not be a clothes/shoe hoarder. I have already tackled the hooks to organize all my bags, created a pinspiration board for clothing options and recovered a tufted ottoman to add a little fun in the closet.

Today I am going to share how Home Depot has changed my life (in the closet) by helping me organize all my shoes!

Here is a little before picture of what our closet looked like:


Ya know...not awful, but not great at all. You can see that I tried to organize my shoes using those cheap shoe organizers from Target. They just didn't work for me.

Do you see where my boots are to the right?? Well I had a space that was 12 inches deep, 31 inches wide and 96 inches tall. I knew I needed to use this space more efficiently and that is when Home Depot came to my rescue......


Can you hear the Angels going "Ahhh...."? Well I did!


I grabbed my measuring tape and decided to get 6 shelves, 3 tracks and 18 brackets. Then I ran home..well actually I drove, in my car..as fast as I could!


I cleared out that little nook where the shoe rack had been and began taping off the trim for a little fun paint. I can never leave well enough alone can I!? But I am loving the back drop to my shelves. Urban Bronze by Sherwin Williams baby!


I then decided that I needed even more bling and began spray painting all of the tracks and brackets Metallic Gold! 


Can I tell you how much I love my new Rustoleum Comfort Grip Sprayer! It saves your index finger from exhaustion and really helps create smooth lines. If you don't have one and you are a DIYer...it is a MUST! Not sure how I have been living without it all these years. Seriously!


Anyhoo..back to our project. Once all of the tracks were dry I started installing them using my drill and my muscles! HA!




Not too shabby! Then I started adding the brackets and shelves...




Totally Crushing on the gold details!!


After putting the shelves up I decided that they hung over just a little too far. Just about 3 inches too far. I was afraid that we might bump into them and then all of my shoes would go flying...which would equal no good.


So my dad helped me by measuring the three inches and using a level to make a straight line across the board. I was not going to go near the electric saw, so my dad came to the rescue of cutting all six boards for me. (I know I need to learn for myself one day!)





I took these babies home and sanded down the ends and placed them back up on their brackets.

THEN..came the fun part! Styling the shelves with my shoe collection!







As you can see we started the track and first shelf about 2 feet up so I could have room for my tall boots. Also, the top shelves that will be hard for me to reach ( I am 5'1") are shoes that aren't used all that much. I figured I could rotate the shoes based on the seasons as well! I also have so much room that I could add a few more shelves and actually store the Hubs shoes on there too. 
(We will see about that...how about just more shoes for me!...kidding/not kidding)



I also saved some major space by adding this little basket for all of my flip flops and thong sandals. 


I am In Love!!




This closet is still not Perfect, but SOOO much better already! Next task is to organize the clothes on the top shelf! I have an idea..so stay tuned.





What do you all think? Could you tackle a weekend project like this?

Thank you to The Home Depot for having amazing supplies and employees who are helpful!

Linked up at: We Heart Organizing & Thrifty Decor Chick

20 comments:

  1. oh man, super jealous. although, I don't like the boyfriend knowing the number of shoes I have, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Also, your thing sandals are adorable - where are they from?

    Amanda
    Www.kidsandcabernet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My sandals are Jessica Simpson from Hudson Belk.

      Delete
  3. I love all the accents: the sandal basket, the gold detail, the tufted ottoman (which, by the way, I was SUPER impressed with. The re-upholstery was so tastfully conceived and done!)

    p.s. just noticed your new head shot - very pretty Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I seriously just sit in there sometimes. :)

      Delete
  4. love.love.love. great job Ames! and the new head shot is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great job! I'm impressed! I love the gold accents! I just bought a spray paint gripper and the difference is amazing. I may become a DIY'er after all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely DIY... practical and pretty, a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geralyn! I am happy with how it came out. It adds so much more space to a very small closet.

      Delete
  7. Hi Amy, it's a pleasure to meet you. Love what you have done. A girl needs her shoe space, plus you have some cute shoes too. Happily your newest follower, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thanks Linda! So glad you are now following. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Holy moly -- that looks great! love the gold (duh), and jealous of your guns!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously my fave shoe organizing post to date. I'm pinning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a pretty easy project and I am loving the outcome!

      Delete
  10. This is absolutely brilliant, and we are definitely doing this pronto!

    xoxo,
    Meredith & Gwyneth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Wonderful compliment coming from you my friend!! Let me know if you do tackle it...I will give you a shout out! xoxo

      Delete
  11. Love Love Love! Come share at my new monthly linky party -- Organization Ideas AND Room Reveals -- it just opened! XO, Aimee

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2013/11/home-organization-ideas/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews