Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Master Bedroom Makeover

As I have gotten older, my style has evolved and I have found designs and styles that take my breath away. I feel my style use to be more country.  I loved the feel of quilts and enjoyed the shaker style of wood furniture. I still think those styles are beautiful, but don’t quite fit into the decorating scheme of this home.

I now feel as though I have shifted my style to modern/traditional. I love the curved pieces of sleigh beds, but really crave a good geometric shaped pattern on a pillow, rug, throw or artwork. I like walking into a room and seeing many different styles and pieces thrown together to create one magnificent room!

Below is a picture of what my master bedroom looked like just a few months ago:

As you can see, I needed to do quite a few updates. I really love this pottery barn bedding, but I want something a little more light and airy feeling. Something a little more....relaxed. With that being said, I still might pull this bedding out for the holiday season and bring some warmth back into my room.

Everything in this room was dark: Dark bed, dark bedding, dark side tables, dark dresser and dark picture. I just needed a change!

I first wanted to pick a wall color that would calm the room as well as feel inviting as soon as you walked in. Well…let me just say, the color didn’t turn out the way I wanted. I wanted a true gray and what did I get? BLUE!

I decided on the color "Simply Gray" by Valspar Signature Colors. Wouldn't you think that if a color were called SIMPLY GRAY....it would be gray! Well...I guess the crazy NOT!


So this was how it all started…..after letting out a BIG scream sigh, I decided that if I kept everything in the room light, that it wouldn’t be so blue after all. (I really didn’t want to repaint!)


Then on to my design board....I used my favorite sight, Olioboard, to compile furniture and ideas. I really loved the blue, yellow and gray color palette.



Ahhhh....doesn't this room already make you feel relaxed?


So this is where I am in my master bedroom makerover...trying to finish up the projects on a tight budget without losing any of the great design elements.


Here is my Master Bedroom to do list:

  • Paint Walls & Tray Ceiling
  • Create Gallery Wall
  • Recover seat cushion on chair & add edging
  • New Grommet Drapes
  • New Bedside Lamps
  • New Bedding
  • Make Euro Pillows with dove fabric
  • Spray paint bedside tables white
  • Change out knobs on large dresser
  • New Artwork above bed
  • Change out Fan for light fixture (sorry…hubs said the fan must stay!)

Not so bad huh? I am getting there and can’t wait to share the great progress with all of you!

What do you think so far? How about the color?

Today is my last day in the 20’s! Wish me luck! HA!

Amy ©

3 comments:

  1. The rug is super cute...that is a nice moodboard you got going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me last week. My color was Foggy Day from Sherwin Williams and there was nothing blue about that color until I put it on my walls. It's a gorgeous color, but it wasn't what I had in my vision. I'm using navy, white, gray and pops of yellow in my master as well and figured once I changed the curtains, painted the dresser and nightstands, etc that it will hopefully work out great. Can't wait to see how your master turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just began painting my guest bath Simply Gray by Valspar, and I also noticed it's BLUE! 'm debating going back and switching the color, but not sure yet. Do you have photos of the finished product? I know it's 2+ years later, but figured I'd ask.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews