Thursday, October 6, 2011

DIY Fall Burlap Wreath for Under $15

I think I might have told you all that I am obsessed with Burlap this fall. I have found so many neat things to make out of burlap! I went to JoAnn's the other day and bought 4 yards of this crazy stuff! When I walked up to the register to pay for it, the girl told me she didn't like the smell of burlap because she grew up on a farm with horse and hay, etc. She said that burlap reminds her of her childhood. I thought that was hilarious! I told her at least she doesn't live with me! I love Burlap! (I seriously think she thought I was crazy!)

Oh well....so on with my post.

I decided to try and make a wreath of some sort for my front door. My friend Katie from Thrify Finds and Redesigns inspired me with her burlap wreath actually made out of a vintage potato sack! So cool.




I started with this styrofoam wreath that I got from Michaels.



I used burlap scraps from another project and started wrapping the burlap around the styrofoam wreath. I used one straight pin to hold down the final end.


It ended up looking like this:


I thought it looked pretty neat just plain burlap, but I am not a plain girl and I thought it needed a little bling of some sort. So I decided to start wrapping some orange ribbon on top of the burlap. I used straight pins to pin down each end, so I could take the orange ribbon off after the Fall season and add something new!


Not too shabby:

It still needed something else, it didn't feel finished......so off to Michaels AGAIN!
I found an aisle full of these little beauties...all sizes and colors.



I tried rearranging them in different patterns around the wreath. Once I finally decided on what worked, I used straight pins to pin them into the styrofoam. That way it would be easy to remove these felt flowers and I could reuse this wreath for a different season.




And the finished product.......


I think it looks pretty good! As you can see, I hot glued some orange ribbon to the door hanger just to add a little more color and to hide the shinny silver hanger.

What do you think? I really love that I can take the wreath apart and easily change it with the seasons.

Here are what the prices looked like:
1. Styrofoam Wreath- $5
2. Burlap (4yrds for $11)-Prolly used $2
3. Orange Ribbon- $2
4. Felt & Cloth Flowers-$4
TOTAL: $13.00

Linked This project up at:

Tutorials and Tips homework
Visit thecsiproject.com

3 comments:

  1. AMY! It looks amazing! I love the orange ribbon with the burlap and those flowers are so cute! I love that you kept everything removable, such a smart way to be able to reuse your burlap wreath! Thanks for the shout out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Home Stories A2Z... Love this wreath! So cute and simple, and I love that it's easily reusable for other seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw you on The CSI Project... Super cute wreath. Love the orange pop of the ribbon w/ the burlap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews