Wednesday, March 14, 2012

{DIY} Jewelry Box

 

Last week I was given a challenge by Cassie at Hi Sugarplum! Her challenge was to find something on pinterest, create it, then share it with the blogosphere! Now, you might think that is an easy task, but no way! Have you seen how many awesome DIY ideas there are out there? Absolutely thousands of ideas big and small. And, for someone who has been so indecisive lately...ummm PROBLEM!

I looked through my pinterest boards and I just wasn't feeling them. I needed the project to be simple, cheap, but would make a great impact once completed.....that's when my dad entered the picture. (What? Dad? What does he have to do with pinterest?)

My dad happened to send me a link to a DIY blogger that had a fabulous posting on making a Jewelry Box out of an old book! I was so taken with the project. I knew this was the one for me!!!


Sincerely, Kinsey is a wonderful blog about DIY, Fashion & Photography. I love finding new blogs to follow...don't you?? Definitely check her out when you get a chance!

So I dove right into the project without turning back.



Materials Needed:
Old Book, Exacto knife, Mod Podge, Small Paint Brush, Pencil, Hot Glue Gun & Silk flowers of your choice.

Steps: 
1. Open the book and draw a rectangle leaving 1/2-1  inch border all the way around the book.
2. Next, using your exacto knife cut a rectangle using the lines already drawn. (You will repeat this step multiple times because of the thickness of the book)
3. You will notice that your book pages won't line up exactly.  I think it gives it a bit of a vintage look!
4. Once you have cut all the way through, leave the cover to book up and start Mod Podging every few pages together as well as the outside of the pages and inside of the newly made box.
5. Using your Hot Glue Gun, glue some fake or dried flowers to the top of the book.
6. Once the Mod Podge is dry, you may add some beautiful jewelry to make this project complete!























What do you think? Pretty Easy? It was a fun project and one I will enjoy on my dresser for a long while! Thanks for the idea Dad!


**For more DIY ideas visit my Pinterest Boards or if you aren't a Pinterest member, shoot me an email so I can tell you how to join!!**

Linking Up at: Hi Sugarplum! & The Artsygirl Connection &

24 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea:) Don't you just love the Pinterest Challenge:)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What a great idea!!! These would make great gifts too! I think I am going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea!!! thanks so much for sharing photos...:) chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it!! i've pinned it (and given you credit), because it is so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was such a fun project and I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  5. This is such a cool idea - plus you can stack them & they'll just look like a fabulous room accessory. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I know... they would look neat stacked on a dresser or side table!

      Delete
  6. Love this idea! I may have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So easy and practical! Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! It was fun! Thanks for having a fabulous link party!

      Delete
  8. Love it! I'm so impressed that your dad sent it to you! Wow! That's awesome!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody! It is fun having a dad that likes design and creative things! He always has an idea for me!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness this is pure awesomeness! I have to try it out some day! Thanks for linking up to the RRR party, we had to share this on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! I would love for you to share at my Blog Stalking Thursday Link Party!

    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-stalking-thursday-33.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I would love to! I will try and stop by this afternoon!

      Delete
  11. What a fun and unique idea for a jewelry box that would be so simple to make and wouldn't take a lot of time or materials. I am in charge of a craft night for the girls that go to my church and think this would be such a great idea. Where do you get books like this? I was thinking a thrift store, but is there anything I need to know about the books before I go and buy a bunch? http://www.thisnthatgifts.org/np1-listing-dept-95020

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen! I just bought these books at a local thrift store. I tried to look for really old and unique hardcover books. I loved the rare green and thought it would be perfect for this project. What a fun idea to try this with some of your girlfriends. Let me know how they turn out! I would love to see a before and after shot.

      Delete
  12. Lovely DIY jewelry box. Thanks for the tutorial.
    I shared this article on DIY best posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I'm so excited to try this diy thing out! I have to get the materials but I know in the end I'll be glad I put effort into this project! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews