Last week I was given a challenge by Cassie at Hi Sugarplum! Her challenge was to find something on pinterest, create it, then share it with the blogosphere! Now, you might think that is an easy task, but no way! Have you seen how many awesome DIY ideas there are out there? Absolutely thousands of ideas big and small. And, for someone who has been so indecisive lately...ummm PROBLEM!
I looked through my pinterest boards and I just wasn't feeling them. I needed the project to be simple, cheap, but would make a great impact once completed.....that's when my dad entered the picture. (What? Dad? What does he have to do with pinterest?)
My dad happened to send me a link to a DIY blogger that had a fabulous posting on making a Jewelry Box out of an old book! I was so taken with the project. I knew this was the one for me!!!
Sincerely, Kinsey is a wonderful blog about DIY, Fashion & Photography. I love finding new blogs to follow...don't you?? Definitely check her out when you get a chance!
So I dove right into the project without turning back.
Old Book, Exacto knife, Mod Podge, Small Paint Brush, Pencil, Hot Glue Gun & Silk flowers of your choice.
1. Open the book and draw a rectangle leaving 1/2-1 inch border all the way around the book.
2. Next, using your exacto knife cut a rectangle using the lines already drawn. (You will repeat this step multiple times because of the thickness of the book)
3. You will notice that your book pages won't line up exactly. I think it gives it a bit of a vintage look!
4. Once you have cut all the way through, leave the cover to book up and start Mod Podging every few pages together as well as the outside of the pages and inside of the newly made box.
5. Using your Hot Glue Gun, glue some fake or dried flowers to the top of the book.
6. Once the Mod Podge is dry, you may add some beautiful jewelry to make this project complete!
What do you think? Pretty Easy? It was a fun project and one I will enjoy on my dresser for a long while! Thanks for the idea Dad!
**For more DIY ideas visit my Pinterest Boards or if you aren't a Pinterest member, shoot me an email so I can tell you how to join!!**
Linking Up at: Hi Sugarplum! & The Artsygirl Connection &