Tuesday, August 23, 2011

DIY Weekend Projects- Homegoods Tray & Sunburst Mirror

Wow! Where did the weekend go? It is already Tuesday and I haven’t shown you my weekend projects! It was a busy and fast weekend with two cookouts with friends, a 5-year-old birthday party and lots of catching up around the house (cleaning, laundry, cooking, yard work, etc.).

I did have a little time to be creative and rummage up some DIY fun!

My first project was very simple…but I LOVE! I bought this tray at HomeGoods on clearance for $2.00! Yup….two-dahlas! I was pumped!
As you can see… I am not a fan of the world traveler look. It might work for some…..but it’s just not my cup of tea. This tray would look great in a library with lots of old books, high back leather chairs and an old man smoking a pipe! HA! Just not in my chic bedroom!

So off I went with one of my favorite DIY items…Spray Paint! First, I sanded the tray down and used a rag to wipe all the excess dust. Then I went to town spraying it with High Gloss white paint. The first coat surprisingly covered most of the map, but wanted to make sure it didn’t show at all. So, I waited for a few hours and then put a second coat on.



And…..




Drum roll Please……




What do you think? I Kind of Like LOVE IT! Chic I say!….and Easy too!

This whole project cost me around $4.50. That included the tray, white paint and sand-paper. Awesome!



SECOND WEEKEND PROJECT

I have to admit that this next project was NOT my own idea. I have been interested in this on-going trend of sunburst mirrors. They have been around now for a while and if you know anything about me… I don’t typically jump on the bandwagon as soon as something comes out. If it doesn’t fit in my home or my style, I just don’t go for it.

However, once I saw this sunburst, I knew I could make one of my own and use it in my home somewhere! This mirror was made by one of my favorite bloggers Hi Sugarplum!
I liked how it brought the natural element of wood into a room. So I started reading Cassie’s instructions and knew this was a project for me! The supplies were simple, 2 floral rings from a craft store, one round mirror  and 2 packs of wood shims from Home Depot. (Cassie used the same size shims, I used two different lengths) Then a pile of glue sticks!
Here is a picture of the back after I glued all the shims to the floral rings:

As you can see, I didn't use quite as many layers as Cassie did. I didn't want mine to take up the whole wall in the guest bedroom. I used one layer of long shims, the second layer consisted of the large shims minus 2 inches. I broke them down so they would be a little shorter then the long shims, but a little longer the the short shims. The last layer was made up of the short shims. I wanted to alternate these different lengths to give it some depth.

Next, I took the 7 inch mirror from Michaels and used Gorilla Glue Epoxy on the back and attached it to the front of the wood shims. I then had to wait patiently for 24 hours until it dried! Believe me...that was a long 24 hours.

Then Wha-La......!


Isn't she a beauty?! {Minus the boob fixture you can see in the reflection}





I really like how it looks in this room. The guest room is finally coming together!
A special Thank-You to Cassie from Hi Sugarplum on her awesome sunburst tutorial! I couldn't have done it without you.

What did you all accomplish this past weekend?

Linked up at: Carolyn's Homework Blog

8 comments:

  1. LOVE both projects! That tray was a great find and I love the makeover! I love the sunburst mirror, I have been tempted to try it too! You may have motivated me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fabulous!!! Yours looks great, and perfect above your bed! Love the bedding too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look great! I think that sunburst mirror would look great on my outside deck too..well, in the summer that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo what a good idea! I really like the mirror - never thought of making my own. I have a special request for a project from Amy... I need ideas for headboards. I have 2 guest bedrooms w/full-size beds but the rooms are not that big, so I don't want large beds that take a lot of space. Got any ideas for creative, cheap, DIY headboard solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out so great. My daughter just suggested I make one for fall to replace the mirrored one that hangs over the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super awesome.. Love it..Hello there.. I'm following ya officially from the inspiration board hop..Lovely blog you have here.Can't wait to read more.. Hope you can stop by & visit me sometime / follow back.. TY So much.. Have a great week.Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ps: Would love for you to participate in a fall crawl next week if you'd like to join in :)) TY

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! This is such a great way to add some natural wood into a space! I really want to make one of these!

    Marie H.
    www.progressionbydesign.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews